Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Do Not Worry - TRUST



I’ve never been much of a worrier, but I know a lot of friends who are and I wish I could get them to see a bigger picture. I just don’t spend a lot of time dwelling in the past or fretting about the future. I think that’s why these words of Jesus recorded in the book of Matthew have always made a lot of sense to me,

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34)

In other words, take “one day at a time.” (Not just a 70’s show, but good advice. Ha!)

Now consider a statement I once heard that went something like this: 

If we ever had the chance to see, all at once,
all that we would face over our lifetimes,
the shock would be enough to stop our heart.

Wow! I mused at the time, we might just drop dead if we saw our whole life flashed before us?! Now, there’s no way to know for sure if that’s true, but I dwelt on that thought for a while.

If I could see my whole life before me,

all that I would have to endure,

how would I react?

It took some time of contemplation, but eventually, this heartfelt prayer is what came from those thoughts…

If You allowed me to see
What my future will be,
LORD, how would I respond?

If I saw pain in my life,
And great trials and strife,
Would my faith be a rock to stand on?

Knowing You would be there
In my sorrow to share,
Would that take away my fear?

Would I trust Your protection?
And Your plan of perfection?
That You’d capture every tear?

LORD, You are my reason
For life through all seasons,
So I believe I can honestly say…

I will go where You lead me,
Through the fire or the valley,
I will trust in You all the way.

There’s no need to think twice,
For You paid the hard price
To give me life that’s new.

Counting all else as loss,
I will take up my cross,
And follow hard after You!

***

Oh how He loves us and wants what’s best for us! Just look at the price He paid for us.

Why do we ever worry and doubt?

God is bigger than all of our problems.

Ask yourself this, do you really think there’s anything He can’t handle?  That there might be an issue too complicated for the God who spoke this universe into existence?

If you worry your problems are too big, then honestly your idea of God is much too small, and you need to quickly adjust your thinking.

Just think about how big, how enormous, how incomprehensibly H U G E God is, and suddenly, your problems are looking pretty darned small.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”  (Matthew 6:25-27)

Well? Are you not much more valuable than all of the little birds you see outside your window?

Let that question swirl around your heart for a while. And then this one:

“Can any one of you by worrying, add a single hour to your life?”

Decide for yourself what the answer will be,

And TRUST!

Trust in the One who is big enough. 

He is so much more than enough!  





No comments:

Post a Comment