Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Summer Dreams


I’m pretty sure summer will always be my favorite season.

It makes me incredibly giddy to open wide the windows, letting in the bright golden sunbeams and soft, warm breezes. 

In my mind’s eye I imagine summer as a girl with a beautifully confident smile, inviting us to come outside and play, to dream and to dance, and to fill our hearts with her wonder.

Popsicle days slowly melt into firefly nights that often we wish would never end. Still warm evening air seems thick with hope when shooting stars soar across the clear velvet sky and the moon paints the grass and the all tree-tops in a shimmering silvery glow.

But then, it just seems all too soon, that Summer turns . . .  and slips away down a tree lined path, to open the gate for her sister Autumn. 

Though the change in season carries with it a profound beauty all its own, it also ushers in some cooler breezes and perhaps a snowflake or two that remind us there is still more change to come.

Yes, winter will come. There's no doubt about it.

But, you know, so does the spring, and soon. . .

 The sweetest summer dreams, will start all over again.


* * *

Golden shines the crescent moon
And summer dreams are gone too soon

Now softer hues will paint the sky
While autumn sings a lullaby

Then sleepy winter with whispers low
Will fill our world with fallen snow

But soft will come new summer dreams
Awakened by the songs of spring

* * *

My beloved spoke and said to me, 
“Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, come with me. 
See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone.
Flowers appear on the earth;
the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves is heard in our land.
The fig tree forms its early fruit;
the blossoming vines spread their fragrance.
Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one,
come with me.”


- Song of Songs 2:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment